Friday, December 18, 2009

The importance of Context in interpreting the Scriptures

In the book "Scripture and Truth" edited by D.A Carson and John D. Woodbridge, Carson makes the wonderful comment that speaks to the importance of considering the context of a passage.
Regarding Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord'. As the heavens are higher than the earth ( now that has implications for Science doesn't it ? - gw ) so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Carson says "The context makes it evident that the categories do not concern competing logic systems or the like ( as though God operates by a different logic system than man - gw ), rather they are essentially moral. The previous verse exhorts 'Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts' Isa 55:7. Man's thoughts are to be bought into conformity with God's thoughts not by abandoning logic but by repentance."

Now there's something to mull over - perhaps we could use it when we gather together to Praise Him and Hear his Word and minister to one another.
In Christ,
Gary

1 comment:

Gary Wearne said...

Ok. Did anyone see an obvious question that should be raised from my saying that the Isa verse has implications for Science?
Consider again what Carson said. that the category being addressed in the verse wasn't logic but moral. In that case, am i correct in saying that the verse also has scientific implications?
I think that it can, in that it may be speaing to a moral issue but still have implications in other areas such as scientific due to what is said.
Certainly I would have to argue my case much more, but this is the tenor of my argument :)
Gary